Wednesday, October 15, 2008

'Tis the most wonderful time of the year...


Well, maybe not, but it is apple season in Japan! Japan prides itself on its wonderful apples, and I have to say, they are worth bragging about! I just love the apples here, and Aomori prefecture (where our very own Misawa is located) is home to the most popular and famous apple in all of Japan. Aomori produces the greatest number of apples in the country. The apples are also exported to many countries such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, and others. Apples are commonly used as gifts here, and often different areas will put their own special mark on the peel to distinguish it from others. This is one thing that I will dearly miss when we leave Japan!
Today Noah and I went with his first grade class to a nearby apple orchard in Rokunohe town, which is about 20 minutes from the base. At the orchard we paid 500 Yen (about five U.S. dollars) to pick 3 apples, but it is not uncommon here to pay up to 300-500 Yen for ONE, large, beautiful, "perfect" apple, especially near tourist areas.

No comments: